When you move to a new area, it can take time to feel settled. The best way to get stuck into the local area is to start to attend local events, sign-up to local services and perhaps join a local sports club.
Being involved in your local community can help you to make new friends and feel more familiar with the place where you live, as well as being a great way to fill your social calendar!
But, how do you find out whether a community has a good spirit before you move into the area? We’ve brought together some top tips from The Guild of Property Professionals:
1. Visit local community centres, sports clubs, church halls, cafés, and local shops to see what’s going on. Find the notice boards for information on local groups and events.
2. Talk to the local people on the high street. If they are happy to stop and help a stranger, it’s a sign that the community is open, friendly and trusting.
3. A lot of community planning has now moved online. Try searching for Facebook groups and small websites with the name of the town or village. Look at how active the pages are to see if people are engaged.
4. Pick up a local newspaper to find out about upcoming local events. Plus, it’s a good way to find out about the crime rate in the area.
5. Speak to your local Seymours branch, as we will know the area like the back of our hand and have a finger on the pulse of local activities.
Be sure to quiz us during any property viewings you have with us, or pop in to see us when you’re in the area! For more information, head over to The Guild of Property Professionals website.