Converting a derelict property into a beautiful home is a dream for many. But what do you need to know before embarking on a renovation project?
1. Renovation projects can be few and far between. When one comes on the market, many people may try to snap it up to make a profit or create their dream home.
2. Register your interest with your local Guild Member to hear about suitable properties as soon as they come on the market. Also, check your local auction house.
3. If you have seen Grand Designs, you know that building projects often go over budget. Plan realistically and have a large contingency budget.
4. There is a lot of legal work to do before starting a build. Check building restrictions in the area or on the property itself and apply for planning permission.
5. Conduct several surveys before building starts to assess the building and work out exactly what you need to do.
6. Who is going to project manage the build? A professional could do everything for you, or you could do it yourself. From coordinating tradespeople to liaising with the planning department, arranging inspections, organising paperwork and get everything signed off.
Here at Seymours, our friendly team of property professionals are on hand to help you find the perfect property to renovate. Contact us or visit one of our local branches to discuss your property needs.
To read the full article, and view the video please visit Guild property.