Frequently Asked Questions - Sales
- Q1. Why should I sell my home through Seymours? Isn’t it something I can do on my own?
- Q2. How long does it take for a sale to go through?
- Q3. How much stamp duty will I need to pay?
- Q4. How much will Seymours charge me to sell my property?
- Q5. Are their any additional marketing costs?
- Q6. How much should I expect to pay a solicitor?
- Q7. Will I need to be present for viewings?
- Q8. Will you provide me with feedback after every viewing?
- Q9. What if you can’t sell my property?
- Q10. You have valued my property and I/we have decided to use Seymours. Can we go to market immediately?
- Q11. I can see that you’re a member of The Guild – but how does that benefit me?
- Q12. Which parts of Surrey do you cover?
Why should I sell my home through Seymours? Isn’t it something I can do on my own?
The skills and nuances involved in selling a property are often overlooked. All of our estate agents have extensive industry experience and are well placed to negotiate the best possible price and terms for our clients. Using Seymours will maximise results, help make your move as seamless as possible and secure the best possible price for your property.
How long does it take for a sale to go through?
This all depends on a number of factors. If there is no chain and everyone involved in the process such as the buyer, the seller and the solicitor cooperates, then it could take a couple of weeks. If there are more factors at play then it is likely to take longer. Seymours’ average timeframe is between six and eight weeks.
How much stamp duty will I need to pay?
Stamp duty is payable based on the following brackets:
- Properties up to £125,000 in value – no duty payable
- Properties from £125,001 - £250,000 – duty payable at 1%
- Properties from £250,001 to £500,000 – duty payable at 3%
- Properties over £500,001 to £1000,000 - duty is payable at 4%
- Properties over £1,000,001 - £200,000,000 duty payable at 5%
- Properties over £201,000,000 duty is payable at 7%
How much will Seymours charge me to sell my property?
Our fees will be covered when we visit your home, included in this cost is:
- Newspaper advertising
- Online advertising on Seymours’ website
- Inclusion on all prominent online portals including Rightmove.co.uk and Zoopla.co.uk
- Property details sheets (including shop window cards)
- ‘For Sale’ boards
Are their any additional marketing costs?
Not for our standard property marketing service. There are additional costs for the Seymours Property Film and Seymours Confidential packages. To discuss these in more detail contact your local branch.
How much should I expect to pay a solicitor?
Legal fees vary from practice to practice however we work with a number of trusted partners who offer competitive fees and, more importantly, will handle the conveyancing quickly and efficiently.
Will I need to be present for viewings?
No. In fact, we would recommend that the owners aren’t present so that those viewing the property feel relaxed and at ease when asking questions.
Will you provide me with feedback after every viewing?
Yes, we want to work closely with you to ensure that your property sells as quickly as possible. As a result, any feedback that could improve your chances of a sale will be given to you by the next working day after the property was viewed.
What if you can’t sell my property?
Providing that the property is appropriately priced, the market is buoyant, the property is presentable (see Seymours’ property tips) and we are doing our job, the property will sell. If you feel that you’re not happy with the length of time it is taking you can withdraw the property from sale without incurring any charges.
You have valued my property and I/we have decided to use Seymours. Can we go to market immediately?
We will visit you one more time to prepare the property details pack and take the internal and external photography. Once you have approved the details pack we will then prepare the online and print advertisements. We will also need to commission the preparation of an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) before any marketing takes place, which only takes a couple of days.
I can see that you’re a member of The Guild – but how does that benefit me?
The Guild represents a gateway to London for our clients. As part of our affiliation with The Guild we are able to offer additional exposure for all of our properties to the London and international investor markets via our National Property Centre on Park Lane, Mayfair. Your property will automatically be showcased on touchscreens in the window of our Mayfair office, attracting potential London buyers 24/7.
Which parts of Surrey do you cover?
Our area of expertise lies within West Surrey. Visit our branch locations page for a clearer idea as to where Seymours operates.